Monday 1 July 2013

BIRTHSTONE UNICORNS - Ruby


The start of another new month and time for another birthstone. July's traditional birthstone is the gorgeous ruby. I thought I would share with you some of the folklore and interesting facts surrounding this gem.


  • According to lore, if you dream of rubies it signifies that you will soon experience success in love and money.
  • It is thought that rubies grow darker in colour when the wearer is in mortal danger. It is said that Catherine of Aragon, first wife of King Henry VIII, predicted her downfall in seeing the darkening of her ruby.  
  • If a ruby is placed under a building's foundations it is thought to strengthen the structure.
  • In the Bible the ruby is the most commonly mentioned precious stone.
  • The most valuable colour of a ruby is known as 'pigeon blood.' The darker the colour the more valuable.
  • In the Orient, rubies were once believed to contain the spark of life.
  • In the Middle Ages, rubies were thought to bring good health as well as guard against wicked thoughts, amorous desires and disputes.
  • Rubies were said to cure bleeding.


The verse from the traditional Gregorian Poem reads;

The gleaming Ruby should adorn,
All those who in July are born,
For thus they'll be exempt and free,
From lover's doubts and anxiety.

If you are celebrating a birthday this month, happy birthday to you.  Or possibly a 40th Wedding Anniversary?

I have added a short excerpt from, Ruby the July Birthstone Unicorn story. Click the appropriate page tab above if you are interested in reading.






·

20 comments:

  1. Excellent info, as always! My mum's birthstone is ruby, so I'll be showing her this post later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I know anyone born in July.
    And I'm going to do a word count of ruby in my Bible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome stuff. My engagement ring has rubies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to dream of rubies haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rubies are awesome. Now, if only I had one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting. I didn't know any of this. I have a ruby ring that belonged to my great aunt and I've always loved it.
    Now I just want to dream of rubies. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes it would be good. Enjoy your ruby ring.

      Delete
  7. Ooo, this is so interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it a fascinating subject, glad you enjoyed reading the post.

      Delete
  8. I like the Catherine of Aragon one best! So many writing prompts to be found in these posts xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting thought isn't it? Thanks for stopping by, Helen x

      Delete
  9. I never knew any of these sayings- how interesting. Thanks for sharing these, Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly, glad you found it interesting.

      Delete
  10. Fascinating! My daughter has chosen a ruby for her engagement ring. It's the same colour as her birthstone - garnet - but a bit more expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My birthstone is also a garnet! I don't own a ruby yet but I'm always hopeful!

      Delete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit and interact but please note I have disabled anonymous comments due to too much spam!